Note:

1. Please click the following hyperlink to view virtual tour.

Douaumont Champs Bataille Ossuaire

douaument champs bataille ossuaire first world war verdun sur meuse monument soldiers amreican france sametaire VR Virtual 360 degre degres panoramique panorama tour HD 3d


Generated by IDXL Photo Team

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

The battle of Verdun, 21 February 1916 - December 1916, 300 days and 300 nights of relentless, horrifying combat. 26,000,000 bombs dropped by the artilleries, which is 6 bombs per m˛, thousands of mutilated bodies, approximately 300,000 French and German missing soldiers.

 

 

The provisional Ossuary from 1920 to 1927

 

While travelling through this region, during the first days of Armistice, Monseigneur GINISTY, bishop of Verdun accompanied by General VALANTIN, governor of Verdun, had the idea to give these sacred remains a proper burial place where the families could come to collect their thoughts and pray for the dearly departed.


 
 

 

22 August 1920

 

The first stone was laid by Marshal Pétain, Honorary President of the Ossuary Committee.


 

 

 

17 September 1927

 

The grave transfer from the provisional Ossuary to the permanent Ossuary of 52 tombs, each representing a particular area of the Battle of Verdun.


 

 

 

7 August 1932

 

Official inauguration by the President of the Republic Albert LEBRUN.

The top of the 46 metre tower offers panoramic views with a viewing table. The Victory Bell rings out during important ceremonies and the light, the lantern of the dead, shines out over the battlefield.

On the first floor you will find the war museum, which consists of relics from the destroyed villages, stereoscopic views in relief of the battlefield, as well as numerous weapons. In particular you will find a 76 mm German mortar, which is still in perfect condition, "the Minenwerfer", and classed as an historic monument.